Sunday, December 19, 2010

Snowman Family Portrait

Holy cuteness, Batman! I love this project! I got the idea from the blog That Artist Woman. Read the full tutorial here.I did this project with my class as the family gift and with my own kiddos. At home (with only 3 kids) we used felt to make the hats, gloves, etc. and I like how it pops off the canvas. We also used googly eyes because I love them and use them every chance I get! I love how the kids really make the project personal with the details. Not sure why Caitlin had her brother have 3 eyes. Sisters...

I did change a few things from the tutorial. First, I had the girls mix their own paint and used it as a chance to discuss what white does to a color. I also used a Contact paper stencil to make sure that the girls ended up with a snow line. I know my girls and I know that they get too excited about painting and will paint the entire surface every time, so first I gave them a small rectangle of clear contact paper and had them cut their snow line. I told them not to paint the bottom part, but ...see? I was right! When the paint dried, we simply pulled off the Contact paper stencil and they had some snow. I also skipped the snow glitter the original directions said you could use. Sadly, my husband is not a fan... :(

All in all, I love how it turned out. It's a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment