Sunday, January 2, 2011

Making a Working Mom's Morning Easier

Though I would much prefer to be a stay at home, raising these 4 kiddos is expensive and my income is necessary. I noticed when I went back to work after my maternity leave that my kids were stressed about who they were going to be with that day. It probably makes it even harder because, being a teacher, I get long breaks every few months. The girls just get used to the routine and we change it again. Then they get used to the new routine and I'm back at work again. I made this chart to help them. It has really helped to get them ready in the morning because they know where they are going the next day and can get ready accordingly.

To make it, I folded a piece of paper to make a pocket. I stapled the pocket to make 7 tall narrow pockets and labeled each one with a day of the week. I laminated this for durability and cut the pockets. Then, I made different colored tags for Mom, Dad and Grandma (who does their daycare). I also made a tag labeled "Today." We move the tag every night so the girls know where they will be going the next day. On mine, I also added a pocket to settle the argument over who gets to pick the book we read at night and sit in the middle while I read the story. I can already see that they are less stressed and really appreciate knowing what's coming up in their week.

No comments:

Post a Comment